Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.6 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
There are 30 national Save the Children organisations around the world. By the end of 2012 all our international programmes will be delivered through a merged operation with 14 000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) in Malawi the Manager of Member Service & Marketing shares in the overall responsibility for the direction and coordination of the Country Office. The Manager of Member Service & Marketing in his/her capacity is responsible for providing leadership to ensure excellence in serving members and their donors, in both emergency and development contexts. S/he will lead on coordinating communications and marketing.
Qualifications and experience
• Recommended a minimum of 5 years management experience in a corporate or an NGO environment, with experience in successfully leading the development and implementation of communication and marketing strategies for an international organisation, preferably in Africa/ Malawi
• Bachelor degree in social development, Business Administration, Social Sciences, or other related academic discipline required.
• Postgraduate specialisation in an area of social development, marketing or equivalent is preferred.
• A general appreciation of the issues concerning the INGO sector with an in-depth knowledge in communications, marketing and/or fundraising
• Demonstrable track record of leading change which has led to significant results for the organisation and their stakeholders
• Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
• Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
• Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
• Proven track record of high performance and exceeding targets
• Proven track record in secreting new accounts and resourcing funds
• Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
• Experience of building personal networks, resulting in securing significant new opportunities for the organisation
• Proven network with corporate and marketing/advertising and other related agencies in Malawi
• Has a strong international network within media and marketing to draw on
• Highly developed and proven writing and presentation skills, particularly in English
• Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
• Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in
• Commitment to Save the Children values
When applying please include details of your current salary in covering letter
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Please note that the closing date for applications is 18 September 2012
For further information on this role, please see our website at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
How to apply: Please apply with a covering letter and up-to-date CV to